Sunday, August 1, 2010

Heaven with a Crumb Topping

That Usher song "OMG" has a whole new meaning to me now. Yeah, I was supposed to make pulled pork today. Yeah, I slept in again instead of getting things prepped and in the oven early enough in the day. But, whatever, I found something that seems way more OMG worthy.

I sold out and decided to bake yet another cobbler. This time, though, I improvised. I headed to the grocery with the intention of picking a combination of whatever fruits were ripest. The winners were this silky, red, fragrant Red Comice Pears. I hadn't ever seen bright red pears before, but since they were super ripe to the touch, I figured I'd whisk them away to their sugary doom. I then grabbed a few Granny Smith apples to add a punch of tartness to balance out the heavenly sweetness of the red beauties. Success!


One good find, for me at least, was with this shiny metal tool above. I was looking for a sharp peeler to use on the Granny Smith apples and instead settled with this nearly 40-year-old tool of my mom's that she has used over the years to peel carrots and the like. I started using the point to start a tear in the peel so I could scrape the skin off better with ease. Turns out that sneaky bastard is also a corer! Just push, twist and remove. Viola!


Much like the other cobbler recipes I use, this one called for sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice. The only difference this time was adding a teaspoon of cinnamon and a half teaspoon of nutmeg. Sounds like the makings of a classic apple pie.


Looking good!


Steamy! Sexy! Look at that!

This was something special, this was just like dynamite. And I want it all, it all, it allllll! I mean like, ooh myy gosh i'm soo in love, I found you finallyy, it make me want to say oh, oh , oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh--Oohh myy gosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment