Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Take Me to Cherry Street

Today's shout out goes to Taylor Gourmet. I met up with a former coworker there to lunch on some good eats. We both empathized with how we struggle to decide what to order anytime we enter the premisis. Their sandwich selections are just so tasty! Instead of going with my favorite, the Philadelphia Landfill, I opted to try one of their chicken cutlet hoagies.

My eyes scanned the list of options and screeched to a halt at The Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Hello, weight gain. I chose to order a six inch sandwich, which came with their homemade marinara, sharp provolone, and homemade italian breaded chicken cutlets. Fantastico. But as the words were exiting my mouth at the time to place the order, something caught the corner of my eyes. As if time switched to slow motion, my mouth kept moving as my eyes were pulled down to focus on the paper sign taped to the register. "The Cherry Street is here!" Or something like that. This speciality sandwich consisted of freshly-carved roast beef, garlic spread, brie cheese, hot peppers, and arugula. Wow, I thought. What a great combination.

As I regained my focus and came to from my momentary blackout, I repeated my order. I stuck with the chicken cutlets and was pleased with the outcome. But, I still plan to head back there soon before I switch jobs so I can check out the Cherry Street.


I read elsewhere online that they roast this cut of meat with cloves of garlic imbedded in the flesh. That particular article posted a picture of the sandwich. Now I know what I will be looking for next time. Though, I think I would prefer mine heated and melty. Not so much a fan of cold, meaty, roast beef.

4 comments:

  1. That's funny, a former coworker is an owner. I'm looking forward to their Bethesda Opening. I need to be more ambitious. I should seriously consider my concept restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should take advantage of that! Yeah, I am glad they are opening one in Bethesda so I can go there on the weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the first "Cherry Street Restaurant" was in Poughkeepsie, NY where Chef Hilda made the greatest sandwiches!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right! I forgot you all grew up on Cherry Street. I wish I had been old enough to eat some of Grandma's sandwiches back then!

    ReplyDelete