Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dear Bandit(s):

I am writing to thank you for making my life a little spicier last evening. I am usually quite careful when it comes to keeping my "valuables" (and by valuables, I mean my perpetually cashless wallet) close to my person, but I guess your little stunt last night has resurrected my paranoia.

Who knew a little Greek Cafe in Dupont Circle would be prime location to prey on an innocent coed. In any event, I credit you for your slickness. Had my Metro SmartTrip card registered at the turnstiles, I would've trotted on home without even thinking to look inside my wallet until the next day. Instead, I tried each turnstile twice to enter the station, but the card seemed de-magnitized. Then and only then did I re-open my wallet to put the dud card back in and look for an alternative. I'll say, though, the fact that you took my Loft gift card, insurance prescription card, and Carefirst card and stuck them in as placeholders for the three credit cards you stole was pure genius. Furthermore, stopping first at Starbuck's to charge something was even smarter because "everyone" drinks Starbucks, right? That doesn't arouse the suspicion of credit card companies, right?

Wrong. I don't drink coffee. And bad idea to burglarize my wallet with your burglarious hands since I never have cash on me. The joke's on you. You may think you made off well with your $550 Walmart purchase, but I'm thinking it may not get delivered to your residence since the credit card company notified Walmart today of this fradulent charge.

I am also curious, do you really like sushi or did you just charge $50 to Thai Chef up the street to throw the credit card companies off your track again? If you really do like sushi and stopped for a quick dinner, well, then I like your taste. Maybe we could be friends after all. Thai Chef is a great spot. Though the $120 worth of Smart Trip metro fares and gas you purchased will never be seen again, I will be refunded certainly. And have fun riding the DC metro system. It'll open doors to a misery you'll never quite get used to.

In any event, this all turned out for the better. My American Express card was on its last legs. It was starting to split and I had been wondering lately whether it would make it another year until the expiration date yielded a new card in the mail. Thanks for expediting the process of getting a fresh card.

I also want to thank you for giving me material for my blog, the excuse to use the out-dated term "bandit," and the opportunity to type the word "burglarious," that I didn't know existed until reading it recently in a local newspaper.

Take care and hope you enjoyed the sushi.

Best,
Hilary

P.S. I don't know whether to curse DC Metro for ineptitude yet again or thank them for the malfunctioning turnstiles. Turns out my card worked fine this morning. Anyways, I'm babbling now. I'll see you when I see you...and this time, I'll be ready.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no! I can't believe that happened to you! I'm so sorry.... I think i know what Greek restaurant you are talking about. I will certainly make sure to keep an eye out for my valuables the next time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I feel lucky to have caught it in time and am relieved the whole wallet wasn't taken, cuz getting a new ID and replacing all that stuff would've been much more of a pain. We were at Zorba's (is that what you were thinking of?) and the man at the register was actually very helpful and called his police friend to come get the report from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It was Zorba's! I love that place! It has great hummus (apparently with a side dish of pickpocket-ers)

    I'm happy to hear that everything worked out for you though and you caught it in time. I know that the situation can get really frustrating and sometimes, people don't end up as lucky. Regardless, I loved this post. Although the situation is a crappy one, your attitude almost makes it a bit humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea burglarious was a word either. That sucks. How do you think they pinched your cards and put the wallet back without you knowing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that you used burglarious. however, in following the best practices of a nameless #1 source for news and information, you should have signed your letter with your full name and address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lobster Rolls! I couldn't wait for the shout out about, Lobster Rolls! Is it too early? This may be the first time in history that a comment posted before the post. It’s like the Fox, just got outfoxed by a Fox. Drag about your credit cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Touche, Sheri. But I didn't want the bandit(s) to know where I lived. My license has my parents address on it, luckily for me. If they had my real one, then they could really clean me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Should the parents be preparing tea for your friends since said friends have their address?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi AE,
    I'm thinking my parents should finally decide to lock their doors instead of preparing for tea time :-)

    ReplyDelete