Thursday, August 12, 2010

Drowned Rat

I will start off by saying that the picketers came back again today. The strong rain torrents and winds did not discourage their plight to fight for benefits from their employer. This time, though, the blow up rat was replaced by several more cowbells. Maybe the rat wouldn't have fared well in the rain. As I was walking past them to grab some food, I noticed them stopping to take a break. I meant to go ask one of them for more details on their cause, but my hunger defeated that curiousity.

In addition to the cowbell annoyance, my basement flooded this morning as a result of the flash flood that drowned parts of the region. I am not one to point fingers, but all ten fingers and all ten toes are pointing right at my landlord all the way over to his cottage in Ireland. Having the main downspout from your house gutters empty at the top of the outside stairs leading to the basement is, let's say, less than ideal. The result? A little change of scenery for my morning shower. I spent the main portion of my morning outside with the lightning and rain torrents hauling bucket after bucket of rain water that streamed through the cracks in the door frame to the basement. Rugs soaked. Dirt and leaves everywhere. Only half of the wood floor got covered, and I was able to move stuff in time to spare more damage.

Oh, did I mention that I've always wanted to use a wet/dry vac? No. Because I don't. But, now I get to see how well the landlord's works. And, regular emptying of his dehumidifier will become a new chore for the next few days. Upon calling the landlord, who I have no problems with otherwise, I was informed that he has pieces of wood outside near the bushes that he uses in his effort to re-route the downspout waterflow around the entrance to those stairs. A teeny bit of information that could've been more useful at the lease signing.

Last but not least, Fievel remains at large. The landlord told me to move the traps under the crawl spaces under the kitchen sink and the stove since that is where he has caught mice in the past when they had a "problem." Again, another piece of information that would've been more useful at the lease signing.

I am now drowning in work after coming in a couple hours late after dealing with the house woes. I wish I wasn't such a downer today, but hey, at least the weekend's almost here and the sun's finally out.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds miserable! Did it flood again with the evening storms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miserable indeed it was. No, where I was, the rain was just drizzling. Nothing major. We placed a wood board at the top of the stairs so should be set if a similar situation arises. Place is drying out well, though!

    ReplyDelete