Friday, August 27, 2010

Cotton Candy, Sweet and Low, Let Me See Your Lobster Rooooll


While that 1994 song "Tootsie Roll" by 69 Boyz from the middle school/high school mixer era has fallen back into the woodwork (thankfully), lobster rolls have never lost their style.

When it was all said and done, I spent two hours of valuable work time stalking, waiting and then mercilessly devouring a delicious Maine lobster roll. After hearing from a friend that the Red Hook Lobster Truck had made its way to McPherson Square yesterday, I was on high alert for their pending trip to the Metro Center area today.

I sounded the bugle. I sent out an email to those I knew who worked nearby Metro Center to generate interest. I bookmarked the Lobster Truck's Twitter page on my phone. I made a special trip to the bank for plenty of cash. And lastly, I cut back on my regular morning breakfast to save room for my upcoming feast.

Then, I embarked on my journey at 10:45AM from Chinatown to Metro Center. Phone in hand, I updated the Twitter page every minute. Obsessive? Yes. To make myself feel less stalkerish, I stopped in at H&M and Banana Republic to convince myself that I wasn't just wandering aimlessly in search of a food truck. I walked around several blocks, several times hoping I would spot the truck before the location was posted on Twitter. No luck.

And then the crowds started. Around 11:15AM, four people with smart phones in hand walked towards me at the intersection of 12th and G talking about the food truck. Noooo, I thought. NOOO! My friend Patrick and his coworker, also on high alert, called me to find out where I was and met up with me at my corner. Our group got larger, and then spotted another line forming across the street by the metro entrance. Guess we'll follow the crowd. An older man assured people that the truck would be arriving at this corner and like sheep, we all believed him.

Around 60 people formed that initial line. Friend Teddy and his coworker made an appearance soon after and decided to wait back in line rather than cut. After waiting 30 minutes for the lobster truck to arrive (it was stuck in traffic), we waited another 20 or so to get to the ordering counter. My friends Laura and Mehul met up and saved a spot nearby to eat in the shade while I made the purchase. They charged $15 per lobster roll and $3.50 for a whoopie pie.

The Lobster Truck owners drive up to Maine weekly to get fresh lobsters and you could tell that they weren't messing around. Our sweetly succulent lobster meat was mixed with mayo, scallions, celery and special seasoning. There was the option to have the meat mixed in plain butter, too. Shrimp rolls, Maine root soda, freshly squeeze lemonade, and plain fresh lobster meat were also on sale. Pricey, but well worth the wait!

Here are some testimonials from my friends:

Before the adventure began...

"I’ve got a lunch scheduled [today], but a) if the truck arrives near 12:30 and I can persuade my group to come to the truck, I will, or b) if the truck arrives significantly earlier, I will try to flee the building, run to the truck and then fake it during my second lunch. “Oh, this sandwich is so good, mmm, oh yes, I’ve never had a lunch this good [insert more lies here]."" -- Patrick

"Is Rock Lobster going down today or do I have to settle for Love Shack?" -- Mehul

Upon eating...

"This lobster roll is great, but why the hell didn't you buy us lemonade?" -- Laura (whose testimony comes with a side of sarcasm)


"While it may not be true that Lobsters find a mate for life, I'm glad that one found its way into my delicious sandwich." -- Mehul (whose testimony comes with a picture)

"The food was good. The experience was great. You can't go wrong standing outside in nice summer weather with happy, about-to-be-fed people. But you can wish for much more butter in your lobster roll." -- Patrick (whose testimony comes with wishful thinking)

"It might have been the wait. The anticipation. The anxiety. Or the hunger in my belly... But, that was seriously D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. The dudes in front of us went strong and got the Connecticut, which apparently is the lobster meal deal, plus the shrimp roll ($8) for $26. I think I should have done that. The whoopie pie is good, but a bit too much. I'm in need of milk. I haven't washed my hands [because] I'm still savoring the smell of butter and lobster..." -- Teddy (whose testimony comes with buttered hands)

An hour later...

"Sadly, I'm going to wash my hands now." -- Teddy

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHA I love how you added in the testimonials! Call me up the next time you guy go here- I LOVE seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely will let you know the next time I am out on the hunt in your area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am seriously salivating. I wish I worked near you all downtown!!

    ReplyDelete