Friday, August 13, 2010

Weird Food Combos

Friday the 13 is supposed to be a creepy day. For me, not so much. I partook in a fair amount of creepy food combinations, but otherwise thought this Friday the 13th was the best I've ever had. Things are starting to fall into place. I have a few general goals before I turn the dirty 30 in just over a year from now, one of which has to do with my career aspirations. And getting a much-desired job offer in the afternoon was the vanilla ice cream on the cobbler I like to call my life. I can't begin to describe how elated I am, how relieved I feel, and how positive things are looking for the future. Once things are finalized with my acceptance letter, I will write more about that.

But aside from that, I wasn't feeling so hot as I discovered the beautifully smooth Shiraz I enjoyed Thursday night had a nasty side the next day (even after only a couple glasses). It's being all sorts of mean today...and to help take that edge off, I've been cramming the most unlikely of food combinations down my gullet in the hopes to chase the angry Shiraz out of my system. Why is it that hangovers dig out the lust for greasy, comfort food? It would make more sense to head towards fruits, vegetables and freshly prepared foods to purge the hurt from one's system. I guess when you feel like you've been run over a circus train, thinking logically is out of the question.

This got me to thinking about my occasional cravings for strange food combos. As I frosted my perfectly toasted cinnamon-raisin bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese this morning, I wondered how many other people (other than pregnant women) have food quirks like mine. You would think that grouping would be repulsive...fish with cream, cinnamon, and raisins? Yes, please. It's delicious (hungover or not). For lunch, I downed two ice cream sandwiches (a Snicker's ice cream bar and an M&M ice cream sandwich) along with half of a toasted blueberry bagel with smoked salmon cream cheese. Is your mouth watering yet? Thought so. Here are a couple of other good numbers that seem so wrong, but are oh, so good.
  1. Cinnamon-raisin bread, toasted and smothered with melted, sharp cheddar cheese
  2. Baked beans mixed with grated parmesan cheese and dolloped on a hot dog with plenty of ketchup and mustard
  3. PB & J sandwich, covered with a mixture of apple sauce and raisins on the top slice of bread
  4. Cold, chunky New England clam chowder straight out of the can
  5. Or just plain old cold dinner leftovers for breakfast, the best of which are spaghetti and meatballs, or eggplant parmesan.
Don't be scared. Give them a try.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the offer! That's awesome news.

    And I agree on the possibilities of cinnamon-raisin. People always think, "Oh, cinnamon-raisin, there's already a lot going on there." But they don't know cinnamon-raisin can deal with a lot more. Up the street, my bagel-shop order is always cinnamon-raisin with egg and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Looking forward to celebrating over some pie next week!

    Ha! It sure can handle more than just butter. And that combination of yours intrigues me. I will put that on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete