Friday, August 6, 2010

The Simple Life

While I thought about writing today's post about my near-attempt at preparing a melted cheese on cold cheese treat, I found myself more compelled to unleash a commentary on Earthlings. So, I will take a break from my slammed day at work to pose a series of rhetorical questions.
  • Why are only babies, old people, and animals allowed to toot in public?
  • Why is it only ok for babies, old people, and ESPECIALLY animals to stare?
  • How come everyone looks the other way when when B, OP, and A throw table manners to the curb, yet they exhibit sheer disgust when I wind up with food remnants all over my face and clothes?
  • Why don't B, OP, and A have to suffer the daily 9-5 grind?
  • Why are there discounts (or sometimes free passes) for B, OP, and A on airplanes and food establishments?
  • Why do most people feel comfortable making small talk with B, OP, and A that they've never met, yet find it painful to make eye-contact, let alone exchange a smile, with non BOPAs in public?
  • Why are B, OP, and A always so adorable, endearing, and cute?

No, I'm not bitter that I have to conform to societal constraints when these genres of beings do not. I just find this all interesting sometimes. And, I often wonder when the lines begin to blur in that transition from childhood to normal-hood, and from normal-hood to old-hood. At what point in my 50s, 60s, or early 70s will things start to slide? Or will the slide begin earlier than I expect with much more subtlety? I have lived my childhood, but I didn't have the awareness then to cherish that blissful innocence and ignorance to civility. Since I won't be reincarnated as an animal, I must now wait until I am in my later 70s to really cut loose.

I can't wait for a more simple life. A time when I can really exhale, pause, sit back, and relax. Animals, mainly domesticated ones, have the life. Though, they will never understand how good they have it. All they have to do is love, eat, and play (except in this dog's case). Is there anything better in life than that? Why must we complicate things so much? Yeah, I know...the fully-developed human mind is a beautiful thing and has the capacity to achieve great things. A mind that babies don't quite have yet, that old people start to lose pieces of, and that animals will never have. I wouldn't trade that in for free-for-all tooting and staring. But sometimes, I just wish us non BOPAs could dial it down a bit, and lead lives not bogged down by the circus of activities, decisions, work, distractions, challenges, and hardships. But, I guess life's supposed to be that way. And in the end, we will be rewarded with AARP discounts.

Now that, my friends, is a look into the inner-workings of my mind. It's not terribly efficient, I'd say. I wish I could train my mind to do something earth-shattering, rather than clog it up with these musings. Back to work.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. To your categories, I would add people with cupcakes. My ride and walk to work Friday morning was extraordinary. People were looking at my bag of boxes, with CAKE written on one side and LOVE on the other, like it was a dog. Eye contact with the cupcake bag first, then the person holding onto it. I felt like I could do anything. Make small talk, ask people for favors, rob a bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of the cupcake! That's funny. If I were you, I would've been equally afraid of getting mugged for the gold you were carrying!

    ReplyDelete