Thursday, August 19, 2010

Weird Ice Cream Wins My Heart

Maybe a couple of months ago, I tried something from a dessert menu that did not sound the least bit appealing from its listing: sea salt ice cream. For one, it's ice cream, and my body does not tolerate it much these days. Two, ice cream is usually the last thing on my priority list of desserts in general. And three, sea salt?! It ended up being surprisingly delicious. Something about the sweet and savory combo made it special.

Well today, as part of the DC area's Restaurant Week, I went to Indian Restaurant Rasika with coworkers to take advantage of the good lunch deal. $20.10 for an appetizer, entree, and dessert. Rasika never ceases to amaze me. I have only dined there twice (this being the second time) because it's pricey, but would be a frequent customer if I had the means. It's hands down the best Indian I've ever had.

The highlight of the meal? Banana-black pepper ice cream. Strange and mysterious it appeared, but amazing it was. I was leery of selecting it, especially after the waiter stressed that the black pepper played a major role in this concoction. But, again, I was pleasantly surprised. It was phenomenal. Pure genius. The banana was the star in this dessert, and the black pepper undertones gave it a punch that elevated my taste buds. I'm not sure if this is a regular dessert item on their menu, but highly recommend trying it. Maybe I'll have to start going there for Happy Hour and ordering drinks and ice cream at the bar. I'll figure something out...

No comments:

Post a Comment