Thursday, August 5, 2010

Finding a New Obsession

Cobbler making season is nearing its end. I can feel it. And it makes me sad. I'm thinking once September hits, I will only have a couple more weeks left to obsess. That brings me to my next dilemma: what to do next? My friend Sheri was thoughtful enough to ask me this question earlier today and it has sparked a much-needed brainstorm with ample lead time for a decision.

I could steer my focus to savory items, which is likely what will happen. Or, I could stay the path of sweets and focus on pies. Pies! There are so many different kinds of pie, many of which can be fruit-filled making my life easier. Speaking of pies, my friend Patrick told me of this pie place (I think this is the spot) in the H-Street corridor of DC. Must check it out!

Yet, I think I am leaning more towards the following:
  • Sliders (beef, chicken, seafood, veggie--you name it. And the combinations of homemade condiments, toppings, and cheeses make it even more enticing to me).
  • Casseroles (there are a million of these out there! They could also double as my lunches/dinners for the week.)
  • Dips (layered, cream based, cheese based, baked--whatever!)

OR, I could just focus on one ingredient and see how many savory and sweet dishes I can make from them. Take bananas, for example, I could make smoothies, ice cream, bananas foster, quesadillas, hmmm....maybe not.

I've got at least another month to get cobbling out of my system. And, I hope by then I will be ready and eager to enslave myself to the demands of another food item.

No comments:

Post a Comment