Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Good Baked Goods

I dined at Chef Geoff's downtown last night with my family and cousins, and for the first time in a while, ordered dessert at the end. I usually don't have room for dessert, and come to think of it, didn't have room this time either, but went for it anyways. My parents were there to treat us all, so that may have played a role in my decision.

As my eyes darted through the menu selections, they screeched to a halt at the word "Mixed Berry Crisp." I remember making a mixed berry cobbler earlier this summer and not enjoying the berry marriage going on under the crumbly topping. There was something about it that ruined it for me, but I can't quite pinpoint it. The fruit tasted like it had been mulled with wine or tea, and I am not a fan of mulled wine. Maybe that's it. I wanted so badly to order it and see how a good DC restaurant prepares the one item I can make in my sleep. But, I decided to go with the pineapple upside down cake with cinnamon ice cream instead. The presentation was great and the cake itself was decadent.

My dad and cousin-by-marriage Erika both ordered the cherry pie (which came highly recommended by our waitress). And, hoping to change my mind about cherries, I asked for a bite. The pie came out in a bowl, so it appeared like a chicken pot pie. And, OH, was it mercilessly hot. Scalded my mouth instantly. Strike two, Cherries! And the crust was a bit too gummy for my liking. My dad and Erika liked it, but to me it was disappointing.

It made me think of all the times I have been disasppointed by fruit pies or cobbler-esque desserts. Whole Foods' take on these have never met my expectations. I love all of their prepared foods, but their fruit pies were always lacking in punch with the filling and especially the crust. This has been precisely why I do not order these kinds of desserts at restaurants, to spare myself the disappointment. As of now, besides homemade cobblers, my favorite pies and fruit desserts are a blueberry pie from a restaurant in Maine, McDonald's apple pie, and Burger King's apple or cherry pie. Sad, but true.

My friend Patrick told me about this Dangerously Delicious pie place on the H Street Corridor that I have mentioned before. But, I have yet to try it. I just want to find a restaurant (bakery even) that has basic, yet fantastic fruit pies. Is that too much to ask? How hard can it be? Maybe I have just been looking for greatness in all the wrong places.

2 comments:

  1. This is a major dilemma! I always play it safe and skip the fruit pies and go straight for the chocolate. Haven't been disappointed yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! Chocolate is pretty reliable!

    ReplyDelete