Monday, August 16, 2010

Stuffing My Pie Hole with...well...Pie.

On a swampy Washington evening with appetites in tow, friend Patrick and I embarked on a journey in search of some Dangerously Delicious Pies. Delicious they were. Dangerous to the waistline they will be. Located in the newly revamped H Street Corridor in Northeast DC, this pie stop's got it going on.

After disembarking from the sardine can that was the X2 metro bus, we walked a couple of blocks until we reached the pearly gates of pie-dom. The place was narrow like a row house and had a funky feel to it. Inside was a long bar counter featuring pie upon pie in a glass display case, and a chalked menu on a blackboard on the wall near the register. So many different options! And, many thanks to Patrick's $25 dollar Living Social deal, we had to order $50 dollars worth of pies. We seized that challenge and ordered a variety of sweet and savory pies and of course some quiche. They sold all of their items either by the slice or whole.

Our picks? A slice of each of the following for our dinner:
(Clockwise from the top)
  • BBQ Pork Pie
  • Wilted Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
  • S.M.O.G. Pie (Steak, Mushroom, Onion, Gruyere)
  • Crab and Cheddar Quiche

When ordering pie by the slice, the servers heat the pie up in a small counter-top oven and then deliver them to your table in these mini circular pie tins. Now, you would think that a BBQ Pork Pie would be a bit strange. At least that's what I thought. So glad we ordered it. The buttery, flaky crust of the pie was like a biscuit enveloping the pile of shredded pork, onions, sauce and spices. The S.M.O.G was equally satisfying and comforting. The Gruyere cheese was the winner in that pie. The two quiches were typical quiches, but the crusts had the perfect balance of crunch, flake and butter.

And for dessert? More pie!
  • Blueberry Pie
  • Apple Pie

My favorite blueberry pie hails from Maine and I will say, that this slice here was just as good! The apple pie, too, was delicious, but I would be curious to taste it warm next time. Yes, there will be a next time. And in case that next time doesn't come soon enough, we grabbed some pie slices to-go! Two slices of blueberry, one pecan, and one Key Lime. My two boxes made it home safely without leaking into my bag, being smashed, or eaten prematurely. I'm not so sure I can guarantee the safety of Patrick's pies.


I am happy to report that I know what I'm eating for breakfast tomorrow. The to-go boxes say "Thank you!" on them. But, who should I really be thanking? Thank YOU, DDP. I'd also like to thank Living Social for promoting pie gluttony. Lastly, and most importantly, I'd like to thank Patrick for helping to keep the eating spirit alive by sharing this coupon with me.

2 comments:

  1. This place sounds fantastic! Let me just say making pies is no easy task. My first (and incidentally, my final) attempt to make pie ended in disaster. It was a projectile disaster. I tossed the entire batch of cored, peeled, and sliced apples in the trash. I flung my spatula to its broken end. And I launched several obscenities such that two years later my neighbors still can’t look me in the eye. When it was over I wanted to hurl. I had to ask Liz to come over to give me a hug. But I wouldn’t mind putting my arms around their BBQ Pork Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing, That's Amazing! Amazingly sad. My heart rips for your failed attempt. But fear not. You can try again. Or just go buy one.

    ReplyDelete