Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fievel Goes East

This morning while checking email I found out that I wasn't home alone after all. Fievel has headed east...far east to downtown Silver Spring. I saw him scurry through the living room, pause for a second to make eye contact with me, and scurry onward into the mixing bowl of TV wires. I swear I saw him smile with my ear-splitting proclamation of "OH. MY. GOD."

I can handle ants, I can handle small spiders, but I can't handle unwanted mammals. Thank goodness I didn't see a cockroach, but mice rank second in terms of the shudder factor. After my basement roommate came upstairs to see what the yelling was about, I headed to Strosnider's to pick up some mouse traps...the friendly ones. I couldn't bear the thought of sleeping and being woken up to the snap of a traditional mouse trap and then go find Fievel (and quite possibly friends) bloodied and broken on my floor. NO, thank you.

Instead, I spent an extra couple of bucks on these catch and release bad boys. I hope Fievel and friends like Jiff Extra Crunchy peanut butter. I took my two traps to the kitchen and placed a generous spoonful of peanut butter in each before treating myself to a spoonful. I texted one of my friends to tell him that I decided to use peanut butter in the traps and he replied with "Ha, don't you eat the mouse trap!" Jeez, people. I am a fan of the midnight snack, but I'm not that bad!

Check out Fievel's soon-to-be traveling case. It's only about four inches wide by five inches long, but for Fievel, it'll be quite roomy and has the promise of a free continental breakfast. I've decided that upon capture, I will be taking Fievel with me to Chevy Chase to release him to greener pastures.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks :-) Here's what my mom (a Chevy Chase resident) emailed me in her "outrage" upon learning of Fievel's fate in her attempt to imitate the anti-immigration nuts out there!

    "You may have seen a mouse but you are a RAT. We do not want illegal mice entering our neighborhood. I suppose we will have to put up a fence, get some drones flying and borrow an Arizona sheriff so your beloved Fievel does not become yet another undocumented mouse. Are you expecting us to pay his medical bills and send his kids to school? Look at your map - those lines delineating neighborhoods are BORDERS. Smugglers like you are called coyotes, you know, and you are not welcome."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethesda concurs with Chevy Chase. Time and time again I read about mice and rats promoting crime, mucking up our hospitals, looting our gardens, and stealing jobs away from our squirrels. Bethesda has closed its municipal borders to all mice or rats.

    ReplyDelete