Monday, August 2, 2010

DC Area Lunch Eats - Part Two

I slacked a bit over the weekend because I didn't have the desire to sit infront of a computer on Saturday to finish up my list of lunch spots. Instead, I decided to take advantage of the great outdoor jungle in my front and back yards.

Like the rainforests of central America, the vine, weed, and insect situation had gotten beyond out of control. With the sole intention of mowing the lawn, I added on more labor and spent a couple hours pulling vines, clipping bushes, pulling weeds and letting 85 mosquitos drain me of my blood. Disgusting. Everything. The vines were so bad that their stalks had formed tree-bark like outer coatings. So high they had climbed to the tops of the Dogwood trees and fir trees, so lush that they had their own flowers and berries. There were species of bees zooming around that I had never seen before. They were huge with points on their ends that looked sharp enough to drill holes in the ground. Scary. The weeds were so overpowering that I couldn't tell what was weed and what was normal plant. I probably yanked out equal parts normal plant to weed.

But, as a whole I conquered the yard. I conquered the mower that kept sputtering out. I did not conquer gasoline pouring, though, as it triumphantly spilled all over my hands and sunglasses. I also received so many mosquito bites on my legs that you couldn't see my skin. It was all welts...huge, nasty welts that from afar looked like some serious spider veins. But, hey, the yard looks great!

Now onto more appetizing subjects. Lunch spots. Here are the remaining nine.

10. Parkway Deli & Restaurant (Silver Spring, Md.) – a hidden gem in the Rosemary Hills neighborhood of Silver Spring, this New York style deli has an impressive dessert, cheese, spreads, and hot foods case, in addition to a decent wine and beer selection. Customers can shop in the front of the store for these items and place a carry-out order or sit in their main dining room to take advantage of the free pickle bar and delicious coleslaw. I first discovered it while lifeguarding at nearby Rock Creek Pool when I was a wee, fuzzy-eyebrowed, 15-year-old. I ordered some chicken tenders and fell in love. I’ve heard that their brunch is amazing, but have yet to try it. Their sandwich selection contains a good variety with categories for king-sized, triple-decker, and other specialties. Their fries (quite possibly beer battered) are succulent. The menu also contains traditional Jewish fare such as potato pancakes, blintzes, and knishes. My favorite? The Grilled Turkey and Brie sandwich. Served hot on buttered slices of sourdough bread, the carved turkey breast is smothered in melted brie cheese and a sweet and sour cranberry sauce.

11. Taylor Gourmet (DC) – a discovery while working in Union Station area, this deli prides itself in the freshly baked bread imported daily from Philly. Gourmet it certainly is, with an Italian flare in its hoagies and market goods. The rolls have the perfect amount of crusty crunch on the outside and soft buttery flesh on the inside. Their menu? While the hoagies take the spotlight, the place also has a great selection of Italian wines and artisan beers, as well as pastas, sauces, oils and vinegars. Their risotto balls are creamy, spicy, and crunchy and the best when drowned in their homemade marinara sauce. The secret to their great sandwiches? The extra sharp provolone cheese and refusal to dress the sandwiches in anything but oil and vinegar. My favorite? The Philadelphia Landfill. Consisting of the signature home-roasted carved turkey, roasted ham, Genoa salami, roasted red peppers, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion and oil/vinegar, this sandwich effuses love. Good news to Maryland folks, Taylor is opening a new location this summer in downtown Bethesda.

12. Breadline (DC) – located over in the Farragut West area of DC, this place specializes in making everything from scratch (all the way down to its condiments!) and its incorporation of seasonal produce into menu items. Their freshly-baked bread is some of the best I’ve had, but their ever-changing menu with daily chef features is what entices me the most. Their baked goods are pretty good, too. My favorite? A staple on their menu—the curried chicken salad. Perfectly seasoned with the right balance of chicken to raisins and other additions make the last bite an ever-so-sad moment.

13. Wagshal’s Delicatessen (DC) – to my knowledge, there are only a couple of these delis in the Northwest DC area, but the one I will talk about is near American University. Their bagels rank up there with some of the better spots. But their sandwich menu is what gets me. Like Parkway Deli, this place has a market of freshly prepared goods, salads, spreads, cheeses, and the like that you can browse while waiting for your food. And yes, this place also has a fantastic case of desserts strategically on display by the payment counter. My favorite? A little on the boring side when you compare it to the other menu options, but sometimes simplicity is all it takes to put a grin on my face. This sandwich is called “Mikey’s Special,” and it comes with smoked turkey, muenster, oil and vinegar, lettuce, tomato, and sweet peppers. Perfecto.

14. Juice Joint (DC) – a little more on the pricey range of things, this McPherson Square spot specializes in fresh, all natural ingredients. While the menu has a number of tasty regular items, there are also daily specials. Their smoothies are healthy with no added sugars and contain interesting combinations of fruits and juices. Their vegetarian chili has many layers of flavor and is a great fill-me-up meal. Grilled salmon in a salad or a wrap with mango salsa is another good option. I’ve heard many a good thing about their stir frys and have enjoyed their mushroom quesadilla with goat cheese. My favorite? A Down Under smoothie (apple juice, bananas, strawberries, and kiwis) with the Fresh Mozzarella and Roasted Veggie sandwich. This sandwich is humble in appearance, but it takes me away to a happy place when I bite into the soft bread drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and sink my teeth into the plump buffalo mozzarella and flavor-packed veggies.

15. Spice Express (DC) – another McPherson Square option, Spice Express is one of the rarer fast-casual Indian spots. While I love Indian restaurants and their lunch buffets, I don’t always have that kind of time to spend during the work day. And buffets are dangerous…for me at least. Spice Express can also be pricey, but it’s quick, tasty, and comforting. The typical lunch special involves rice and two curries. I have tried their chicken masala with a side of palak paneer which was delish. I paid a little extra for some naan to mop up the extra sauce. My favorite? Vegetable biryani. Very simple, but complex with the number of veggies scattered about. Portion size was huge, and their cooling yogurt sauce drizzled on top made the food sing in my mouth. Or maybe it was just me humming in content.

16. Greek Deli & Catering (DC) – It’s probably bad that I am putting a place on this list that I have yet to go to. But seeing as there are always long lines to get in (the reason why I haven’t gone there) leads me to assume that it is worth the wait (except that clearly, in my case, I’m too impatient). One of these days, though, I will plan to get there early enough. I have heard nothing but rave reviews. And if Washington Post Food Critic Tom Siestema had good things to say about it, then I’m sold. As I browse their menu, I think what sticks out the most is their Famous Gyro. It’s famous! How can it not be good!

17. Maoz (DC) – located in Mid-Town DC near Ozio, this place mimics the Amsterdam Falafelshop in Adams Morgan, but falls a little short. That is not a bad thing, though, since falling short to AFS is like comparing PCs to Macs. PCs still get you to where you need to go, they’re just not as snazzy as Macs. And in the case of Maoz, it takes me to where I need to go—the state of full and satisfied. The concept here is to order a small or large falafel, add however many sides (eggplant, egg, feta, hummus, babaganoush, etc.) and then take your pita to town at the fixins bar. There you will find an array of sauces (garlic mayo, yogurt, tahini sauce, etc.) and a ridiculous amount of toppings (or stuffings). My favorite? A junior falafel pita (three falafels) with hummus, babaganoush, feta, tomatoes/onions, tahini, yogurt, and whatever other fixins meet my needs at the moment.

18. Good Stuff Eatery (DC) – a great burger joint on Capitol Hill, this place has me swooning. Started by Top Chef Season Four Contender Spike Mendelsohn, this place oozes goodness. From its hand cut fries seasoned with sea salt and rosemary, to the inventive milkshake options, to the creatively-crafted burgers, there is nothing bad to say about Good Stuff. To top it off, the different flavored mayos make dipping fries more enjoyable. Averse to ground beef? Substitute chicken breast instead, or just order one of the salad wedges. My favorite? The Colleti’s Smokehouse. I hold the bacon on this (a sin, I know) but have had it in its ground beef and chicken version. What makes this burger special to me is the rich barbecue sauce and salty, crunchy onion ring on top, and the ooze of the sharp Vermont Cheddar cheese on the buttery Pennsylvania Dutch bun. I slop this one down with a classic vanilla milkshake and slowly slip into a coma. I will note that I have yet to try the Prez Obama Burger (bacon, onion marmalade, Roquefort cheese, and horseradish sauce) and presume that my current favorite will have to settle for second place.

Time to eat up!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear about Taylor! Going there Friday, thinking about the meatball hoagie. Also, on Good Stuff, did you hear Spike's We the Pizza just opened? A trip very soon is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooh, you will have to let me how the meatball hoagie is. I have heard about WTP and am heading there tonight, actually! Feel free to join, 6pm. If not, we can go another time which I know will be necessary since there are a lot of items on the menu that I want to try.

    ReplyDelete