Friday, July 30, 2010

DC Area Lunch Eats - Part One

I get excited when thinking about some of my favorite spots to eat. As I think about it now, though, it's a lot easier for me to single out lunch places than dinner places. Why is that? It's almost bothersome. Every year when my birthday hits (which is dangerously soon now), I agonize over making the decision on where to eat with my family and friends for dinner. There's an abundance of tasty spots, but for some reason, none stick out at the moment, which is why decision making at that time is hard.

Here's where I've been for the past few birthdays:

Filomena, Bodega Spanish Tapas and Lounge, Indique Heights, Zaytinya, Ceviche, Mai Thai, Sorriso, PF Changs, Alero, Paper Moon...

Of the places listed above, I enjoyed all of them, and have been back several times to Indique Heights (GREAT buffet lunches) and Zaytinya. I am looking for suggestions, though, for this year's birthday dinner with my family.

Now back to lunch. Since graduating from University of Maryland a mere seven years ago, I have accumulated an expanded list of favorites. I know every food publication and critic known to man have set out lists of restaurant guides based on price, food type, atmosphere, service and more, but mine is simply based on taste, satisfaction and likelihood of return visits. One of the places discussed below is Pret A Manger. I did a little grab-and-go from there today and am nothing but smiles in the aftermath of this spicy falafel wrap.



Having worked in Tyson's Corner, K Street area, Chinatown and Union Station, I have experienced a sampling of food court fare, franchised "fast-casual" joints, Mom-and-Pop spots, vendor carts, and other unique concepts to this region and from other regions of the states. I am also quite familiar with the offerings of the Bethesda and Silver Spring area, so will include some of my best lunch bites in no particular order.

1. New York deli (Vienna, Va.) – this deli bakes its own mini-loaves of soft, pillowy bread that come in wheat, white, or pumpernickel to make the most satisfying and comforting sandwiches. These eats can be hot or cold and have a New York flair to them. Wraps are also available, as are a number of traditionally prepared deli salads and sides. My favorite? It’s a tie between a wheat mini loaf with hot turkey and Swiss (with banana peppers, Dijon, lettuce and tomatoes) or the Guiliani (I need to go back to double-check the name) but as I recall, it involves thousand island, and a couple of juicy meats on that heavenly bread.

2. Main Street Deli (Fairfax, Va.) – Another good find with some of the area’s best bagels, fresh, homemade cream cheeses, a variety of classic deli sandwiches and sides. My friend Sheri introduced it to me and makes me wish I lived in Fairfax so I could go more often. Their lox cream cheese spread is uber-creamy and includes finely chopped scallions. My favorite? The Everything Bagel (drowned in everythings on its exterior) with lox cream cheese.

3. PrĂȘt A Manger (DC, NY) – newly opened at 11th and F Street near Metro Center, this place has won a spot in my will. I had seen them in NYC on many a visit, but never knew what it was, and still continue to pronounce this French phrase as “Prett-Ah-Main-Jerr.” PrĂȘt showcases a refreshing variety of prepared hot and cold sandwiches, soups, salads, and more that boast a high nutritional value and lower calorie count without sacrificing flavor. My favorite? The spicy falafel wrap. This warm bundle of joy has five little falafel balls, coated in a spicy tomato sauce and enveloped by roasted red peppers, melted feta cheese, and a cooling yogurt sauce. Masterfully executed.

4. Teaism (DC) – thinking this place was solely a tea house, I was pleasantly surprised on a recent trip with coworkers that revealed a cute dining area and vastly enticing, Asian-inspired menu. There’s something for everyone there, as most of you know, from breakfast items like chicken sausage, naan and raita, to homemade desserts like carrot cake scones, to their famous lunch bento boxes and entrees. My favorite? The palak paneer with its generous portion of brown rice and cooling yogurt sauce that complement the creamy and delectably chewy spinach curry with cheese.

5. Pedro and Vinny’s Burrito Cart (DC) – a great find while working in McPherson Square, this vendor cart features the burrito creations of a former DC executive chef. Tired of the thankless grind, John Rider took things into his own hands and launched “Pedro and Vinny’s.” Having talked to him on several occasions, I learned that he rises each morning around 3:00am to make the burrito’s fresh contents—black beans seasoned perfectly with a hint of cinnamon, salsa, Mexican rice, guacamole, refried beans, and of course, his “Goose Sauce” creation (a mango-habanero hot sauce). He has a variety of tortilla flavors, cheese, and likely 50 other hot sauces on display and ready to be added to the burrito mix. He drives in daily from Northern, Va. to get to the city early enough to park and set up his shop that opens daily from 11:00am-2:00pm (or until he runs out of ingredients). I could go on and on about this man, but I know he makes upwards of six-figures in this gig selling his $5 burritos. My favorite? Medium burrito, no cheese, tomato-chili tortilla, black beans, salsa, rice, Goose sauce, and Georgia peach hot sauce (a peach and Vidalia onion hot sauce).

6. Naan and Beyond (DC) – after my first taste of Indian food back in 2006 and absolutely loving it, I discovered Naan and Beyond in Farragut North. They have a variety of naan sandwiches, rice (biryani) dishes with meat tikkas, vegetables, samosas, chutneys and naan—all cooked in the Tandoori oven (aside from the rice…can’t quite kabob that). What makes this place stand out is its fast-casual nature, different layers of flavor in each dish and the complexity to their seemingly basic chutneys. My favorite? A side of veggie biryani topped with juicy chicken tikka and drizzled with mango chutney. Oh and add to that a veggie samosa…this fried goodness has a blistered, crunchy exterior that protects the smooth potatoes and peas mixed with traditional Indian spices.

7. Ali Baba’s Falafel (Bethesda, Md.) – this big food truck parks itself regularly at the Bethesda Women’s Co-op Farmer’s Market in downtown Bethesda. I had noticed it several months, maybe even years, before I gave it a try. The origins of this cart mimic that of Pedro and Vinny’s burrito cart. The owner/operator sold his antique business for this falafel truck. While the name suggests that it only offers falafel, it also has standard grilled fare like burgers, and lamb and beef gyros. My favorite? The small falafel sandwich with everything on it…cabbage/slaw, tahini sauce, warm crusty falafel balls, banana peppers, and tomatoes.

8. Jungle Grille (College Park, Md.) – a frequent go-to spot during the college years, this casual restaurant offers a fresh, healthy spot for college-goers and beyond. Their frozen yogurt case and milkshakes with fruit are divine. Their peanut butter cookies are (insert high pitched voice) THE best. Their sandwiches and jungle salads with juicy grilled chicken breasts are beyond satisfying. I miss this place. My favorite? The jungle grille sandwich on hoagie bread with chopped grilled chicken, grilled veggies, melted provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, and slathered in their signature honey mustard dressing. I choose to wash that down with one of these: a peanut butter cookie, a vanilla milkshake, a chocolate banana milkshake, or coffee oreo frozen yogurt.

9. Chicken Rico (Greenbelt, Md.) – my first experience with pollo a la brasa, aka Peruvian chicken, was courtesy of my friend Julie. This is one of those places in a strip mall that most people would normally overlook. The menu includes white and dark meat chicken that can be ordered in a variety of portions with crispy browned skin on and bones in to add even more flavor to the already perfect meat. Side dishes include plantains, rice, beans, and other traditional concoctions. You haven’t had good, succulent chicken until you’ve had pollo a la brasa. My favorite? A quarter dark chicken with a side of rice and red beans (mixed together) and topped with this mysterious white sauce they serve in cuppins (my invented word for those little condiment cups found near condiment stations at a variety of food establishments). Make sure to bring a smoker-friend with you if you go cuz you’ll definitely need a smoke afterwards!

I have another nine lunch spots to chronicle and plan to discuss those tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this blog always makes me hungry...

    I recommend CoCo Sala for your bday dinner, although, they have a MUCH better brunch on Sunday’s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion! I walk by CoCo Sala a lot and didn't know they had more than just chocolate! Their menu looks divine...I will have to try it out and let you know!

    ReplyDelete