Friday, September 30, 2011

Whatever happened to the big, bad wolf?

He ended up on a pizza at Lia's restaurant. Now wouldn't that be an ironic twist to that children's tale?! But according to the coupon I received in the mail weeks ago from Lia's advertising its latest wood-fired pizza creation, it has come to fruition!


Kinda looks just like prosciutto, right? The coupon offers $10 off to any customer who dines in on their latest italian cuisine offerings, one of which is the Spicy Lomo & Roasted Tomato pizza. For weeks now, that coupon has been starting at me on my desk and compounding my curiosity. What in the world is lomo? After going to Lia's website to search for the recipe (as advertised on the coupon), I still am not any closer to an answer. They said to substitute capicola for lomo if you can't find it. Well, if you don't know what you should be looking for, then how can you find it?!

Instead of googling "lomo" to put my confusion to rest, I decided to use my finely-honed linguistics skills and determine that yes, the lomo is the bacon of a "lobo," the Spanish term for "wolf." A wolf pizza.

And for a couple weeks now, I've had this stupid inner comical moment every time I look at the coupon. Wolf pizza, how stupid is that?! I'm not gonna go try it for a mere $10 off coupon! But today, after realizing it was time to salvage what was left of my frayed mind after two hectic work weeks, it was time to figure out the wolf pizza creation. I looked up "lomo" on Wikipedia to learn its boring definition: a dried, cured meat made from PORK TENDERLOIN. Oh, how boring!

1 comment:

  1. As a random side note - when we were in Argentina, we always ordered "lomo" - which down there is basically the filet mignon/beef tenderloin cut. Had no idea that it was dried pork too!

    Sounds like you didn't get the pizza...hope you had a delicious non-wolfy lunch! :)

    ReplyDelete