Friday, September 23, 2011

Garden fresh

A couple weeks ago, my boss gave me some crops her dad had harvested in his garden in Front Royal, Va. I was excited for some fresh produce and decided to put it to use later that night. She pointed out that oddly enough, the jalapeƱos were only mildly hot whereas the banana peppers were smokin'.



My small harvest included a green bell pepper, two cucumbers (I ate one during work that day), some tomatoes and several hot peppers. And what did I decide to turn these veggies into you ask?


With the addition of some refried beans, taco sauce, sour cream (fat free!), red onion and shredded cheddar (full of fat!), I put the diced tomatoes, green pepper and hot peppers to good use in my favorite layered dip. This dip is usually nine layers, but I decided to keep it more simple this time. It certainly hit the spot, and nothing tastes better than fresh, locally grown produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment