Sunday, September 4, 2011

They day the calendar died


Today is my 30th birthday. Today is also the day I will stop counting how old I am. I'm going to be one of those people who not only forgets how old they are, but forgets when their birthday is. At least this is how I'm feeling about all of this now.


This is the cake I made for my birthday before it was iced. I decided to get a little more creative this year. I knew I wanted to make circular cakes that I could cut out into a "30," but then also experimented with some upside-down magic. I sliced a quart of strawberries super duper thinly and tossed them with dark brown sugar. They quickly got nice and juicy upon mingling with the sugar. Then I lined the bottom of my cake pans with them before pouring french vanilla cake mix on top. For the icing, I made cream cheese frosting (cream cheese, butter, confectioners and vanilla) and mixed in four minced strawberries. I thought it turned out well! Next time, I might put more strawberries in the cake pans and less in the icing as the icing wasn't as firm with more liquid in it.


Maybe this will be my next cooking experiment--to see how many different combinations of upside-down cake I can make. Stay tuned!

3 comments: