Saturday, September 10, 2011

Grilling steak and re-frying beans

I've wanted to make fajitas for a while now and tonight, decided to finally throw together a tex-mex themed dinner. I bought two skirt steaks, guacamole ingredients, Spanish rice, peppers, onions and refried beans. The marinade I made for the steaks included white wine, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, minced garlic, ketchup, olive oil, brown sugar and some spices. I didn't marinate the steaks for very long, but even so, the sauce did it's work on making the steaks brown quite nicely!


Then I decided to see if I could recreate the refried bean experience typically encountered at tex-mex restaurants. After googling a few recipes to see how refried beans were actually made, I had a plan in mind. I emptied the can of refried beans into a skillet and then added some water, diced red onion and picante sauce. It all heated up nicely and got creamy pretty fast. I also spruced up the sour cream by adding some garlic, bits of guacamole and some smoky hot sauce. Yum.


Then I sauteed some garlic, red onion rings, red pepper slices and green pepper slices and cooked up the rice. Soon it was time to take the skirt steaks off the grill. They cooked pretty quickly since they were so thin. After letting them rest, I sliced them up thinly and prepared for some fajita making!


Look at that tender meat! I will sheepishly admit that I refilled my plate three times during this meal. The second and third times, though, I made sort of a rice bowl and mixed everything together. Next time you're looking for good, cheap meat, go get you some skirt steak!

No comments:

Post a Comment