Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Something Old, Something New

Something old? That would be me. I'm now 29 years old and a few days. Something new? A digital camera.

In addition to some much needed essentials (gas money!) given to me for my birthday this past weekend, I received a new Canon digital camera. Canon replaces the seven-year-old Kyocera I used to keep by my side. I'm excited about the new one because this means I can take many more, higher quality pictures to use in my blog and elsewhere. My old, defiant Kyocera had a terrible, awful, no good, very bad battery that lost its charge years ago. And even though the battery was replaced a few years back, that too soon died. Hence, taking pictures was a REAL bear. Kyocera's signature move of defiance included turning off, shrugging, and citing "low battery" after taking just one shot. SAD. Unreliable. I think the old thing just plain old stopped caring.

But even though I have a new toy to play with, I didn't take advantage of it yet. Over the weekend, I had so many opportunites to snap pictures and seize blogging material, but something deflated my motivation. I'm not sure what it was, but I didn't take a single picture or post a single blog. I am afraid to chalk it up to writer's block, because in less than a week I start my new job which primarily involves writing. Yes, WRITING! My reputation can't afford regular bouts of writer's block.

Either way, I am using this week as a mental vacation before the storm of a new job unleashes. My soon to be boss has been sending me material to review so that I can hit the ground running come September 13. Oh, I'll hit the ground all right. I just hope I can lasso my brain around in time to meet the challenges.

My last day at my current job is Friday, September 10. I plan to skip town that day around noon to fly to Chicago to visit one of my best friends, Christine, for a quick "vacation" before the real job starts. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, we have some new restaurants to check out, some deep-dish pizza to shove down our gullets, and some fantastic funky outfit shopping to do.

I can't wait to get away. This time, I can be extra camera happy without Kyocera being a wet blanket with its perpetually lame, "low battery" excuse. That's right, Kyocera! I'm leaving you home! And, maybe since I'm old now, I'll cart Canon around in a fashionable fanny pack. Either way, some good times are ahead for the both of us.

1 comment: