Thursday, September 2, 2010

And then we came to the end...

This week marks the end of many things in the uproarious life of Hilary. My volleyball season ended in the highest form of victory that group of ballers has ever seen with a league championship, my job nears its close, my last remaining days of being 28 end Friday, and I've made the last cobbler of the season. THE very last cobbler until Spring rolls around.

And this time, there were no pictures taken and no recipes consulted. I made a Bosc pear and Granny Smith apple cobbler. I knew the measurements for the filling and crumbly topping by heart. I peeled, I cored, I sliced, I zested, I juiced. I sifted, I measured, I mixed, I crumbled. One last time.

And then I baked it and opened the oven three different times to check on my progress. This was, afterall, going to be the last time I had the opportunity to watch something bake for many months. Then I had to do the hardest thing I've had to do in quite some time. I had to let the cobbler sit, cool, and chill in the fridge...all without one taste.

I had decided a few weeks ago to bring in a cobbler for my coworkers to enjoy. And this morning, I carted this few pound puppy in to work unscathed. We just shared some of it for our breakfast and as expected, it hit the spot. After all my cobbling, the apple pear cobbler turned out the winner. And, luckily, pears seem to be in season through parts of the Fall, so if I happen to have a yearning, I will still be able to satisfy my hunger.

Here's the list of the cobblers I made this season in order of preference. It doesn't seem like too long a list, but I made several of them more than once. I hope I'm not forgetting any.
  1. apple pear
  2. yellow nectarine, white peach
  3. peach blueberry
  4. strawberry peach
  5. strawberry rhubarb
  6. plum blueberry
  7. blackberry cake
  8. white apricot, yellow peach
  9. peach blackberry
  10. cherry
  11. apple blueberry peach
  12. blueberry cake
  13. raspberry, blueberry, strawberry

Goodbye, late twenties. Adieu summer volleyball. Peace out, job. And fare-thee-well, cobblers. Tear.

1 comment:

  1. Damn it... first my RSS reader doesn't update for days; now Blogger loses my comment while trying to log into Wordpress. Stupid technology... what I just wanted to say was congrats on the cobbler list! It's impressive. I want in on the tasting next summer.

    ReplyDelete