Thursday, December 23, 2010

So this is love?

Ever caught yourself incessantly daydreaming about a special someone? Ever had a hard time concentrating on getting work done because someone else is running through your mind? Well then, my friend, you may be in love.

I thought I knew what it felt like to be in love, but I guess I was wrong. All these years I thought I knew it when I felt it, but I guess I was mistaken. Ever since my trip to Chicago a few weeks ago, I CANNOT stop thinking about Edwardo.

I toss and turn at night. The notion of productivity at the office has vanished.

Edwardo made me a delicious stuffed spinach pizza. And it played the lead role in the food escapades of my weekend away with friends. From the moment it arrived at my friend Christine's door, something in me changed. I took one look at it and am now blind to anything else.


Look at that! The spinach on Edwardo's pizza was crispy with hints of garlic. The cheese was gooey and ooey. The marinara sauce on top was layered with flavor and texture with Parmesan cheese melted about. And the crust. Oh, the crust. It was perfectly crispy, doughy, and buttery.


The pizza was huge. We each had one full slice plus a third of another piece for our dinner Friday night. I was impressed with the restraint shown by each of us, especially myself. But not a second too soon after returning home later that evening, not a word was spoken as we headed towards the fridge. Like robots, we opened the fridge in silence and split another piece.

The next morning, before heading out to brunch, the pizza box emerged yet again. Third of a slice for everyone.

After brunch, since it was raining, windy and cold, we headed back to the apartment and found the box of pizza waiting patiently for our arrival. Out came another piece. Then came a nap. Then out came the box again. Thirds for everyone.

Then as we gussied up for a dinner out at a trendy Mexican restaurant downtown, Christine took out the last piece of pizza and ate it. Part of me cried inside. I wanted to scream. I hadn't wanted this dream to end. But it did. It was over. Done.

And to this day, I can't stop thinking about how good that pizza was. Fresh from Edwardo's oven, it was perfection. Served cold for breakfast, it was divine. And slightly warmed up for snack time, it hit the spot. Buttressed by batch upon batch of homemade chocolate chip and Reese's peanut butter cup cookies, my final winter trip to Chicago was as good as I had imagined it would be.

Now, I think owe it to my yearning heart to host a Chicago pizza night soon at my house so that I can be reunited with my true love and share that goodness with my friends. Luckily, Edwardo's ships to locations outside of Chicago. As does Giordano's and Lou Malnati's. Maybe I will order one of each!

More to come on the rest of the Chicago wintry experience!

2 comments:

  1. I heard this story aloud and now am reading it. Enjoying it just as much as the first time. Will go and see the movie when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed and am jealous you'll likely get to eat some deep dish in a week!

    ReplyDelete