Friday, December 3, 2010

Christkindlmarket

According to my friend Lindsey, Germans like to combine words because they don't have enough time to add space between words.

Hence the word "Christkindlmarket." Ever heard of that before? I'll tell you about it shortly.

Next week, Lindsey and I will head out to Chicago to visit our friend Christine. The first time I visited Chitown was early December and I remember being stunned by how cold it was. Despite the weather, I'm heading back because the city is quite breath-taking around the holidays. Just how the city is an explosion of beautiful, colorful tulips in the Spring, it is bedecked with pretty white lights and festive decorations in the Winter.


Here's the weather forecast for the visit. Aside from the frigid temps, I am excited about the prospect of snow! And moreso jazzed up about the Christkindlmarket.


Designed to mimic the Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg, Germany, which began in 1545, the Christkindlmarket Chicago brings a German and European tradition with international flair. What that means for us? German beer! German food! German garb! Christmas on crack!

In addition to that, we have some side journeys planned to some new eating spots and some old standbys for deepdish pizza and the like. And if we don't freeze to death, I'll be sure to document my final Winter experience in Chicago.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really cool! Have fun next weekend! :D Have a slice of deep dish for me, please :)

    ReplyDelete