Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Terrible Name, Great Wine

Yes, I am still alive. No, I have no excuses for my lack of blogging. I know I still owe more pictures from the second half of my eating extravaganza in Chicago. And, I got this nifty new kitchen gadget from my Aunt and Uncle for my birthday that I need to showcase on here. In time, in time.

What I will say is that a quiet weekend in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains this past weekend was a great retreat from the craziness that is my life. I wish I had taken pictures of the rolling hills, pastures, and turning foliage because it was breath taking in its own way. Even though I don't live in the concrete jungle of the city, my abode in the urban burbs still lacks something only the countryside can provide.

Anyways, after spending a quick weekend in Luray, Va., in honor of friend Emily who is getting married next month, my roommate Laura and I decided to hit up a particular winery in Amissville, Va., on our drive back home. We had seen this winery at the Mount Vernon wine festival, but they weren't selling all they had to offer. And, as luck had it, we noticed signs for this winery on our drive out to the country.

Called Unicorn Winery, for reasons I still don't quite understand, the grounds at this establishment more than made up for the tacky name. A pond. Rolling hills of plush grape vines. The sign at the entrance read "Do you believe in unicorns?"  No. Never will. But many a glass of the winery's Crimson Sunset red might make me think otherwise. Described as their "red wine with training wheels" this particular off-dry red has hints of pomegranate and currant. The secret to its success? It's served chilled. Absolutely exquisite.

I decided to purchase four bottles of Crimson Sunset, while Laura purchased their Chardonnay and their blush called "Slightly Embarrassed." So silly, but so good. The label on that particular bottle has a blushing unicorn logo. Sigh.

I recommend giving unicorns--er this winery a try.

2 comments:

  1. Nick and I have been there! It was actually one of the first vineyards that we visited in VA, back in the day :) As I remember, they had a really good dessert wine too - we brought a bottle or two home at the time. Glad that you found it AND that you enjoyed!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost been here a couple times. Glad to hear it's good!

    ReplyDelete