Thursday, August 20, 2009

Midwest-ward Bound

The beach trip is over. I have a satisfactory tan and plenty of post-glutton guilt after many an indulgent meal. Normally I'm exhausted after vacations. But last night, I couldn't sleep a wink. The first day of this trip, I slept most of the car ride down, slept on the beach, took a nap after the beach and then went to bed early. Each successive day was similar. So why was last night any different? Maybe it's the fault of the stagnant, hot air in my room that makes sleeping in the summer a challenge. But, I've slept in those conditions before. Hmmmm. Ahh, yes. Yes. I knew it. I should've capitalized on that deal for hermit crabs. Ahh, the hermit crab...the gift that keeps on giving. My older brother's birthday is coming up in about a week and I'm yet again stumped for a unique gift idea. A hermit crab would've definitely been a surprise. Nothing says, happy almost-30th-birthday better than a hand-painted hermit crab. I can hear his reaction now: "Awww, you shouldn't have..." Well, Jeff, I didn't. I apologize. Maybe next year. And, now that I've cleared my conscience, I'll sleep easy tonight in the Windy City.

Yes! I'm headed to Chicago to visit one of my best college friends. She's there getting her PhD in Immunology, which sounds impressive to many. But to a non-scholarly common Jane like me, what's most impressive is her shrewd ability to locate the best brunch, lunch and dinner spots in the city. After a recent weekend trip to NYC to visit a friend from childhood, I never thought my life would be the same after eating seven meals in one day. The bar has been raised. I am well prepared to "eat the city into the ground." Look out, Chitown. Better yet, the weather's supposed to be quite pleasant there which will make my trip even more enjoyable. I just hope the weather holds up around here tonight so I don't experience flight delays (one of the many banes of my existance.) It's also my first time flying into O'Scare (I usually choose Midway), an experience that I hope doesn't give me any material for this blog.

Well, it's past noon and I'm starting to feel edgy. Lunch calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment