Monday, April 14, 2014

Chasing the Elusive G

After many a failed attempt to taste one of Mike Isabella's sandwiches from his new-ish restaurant G, I had found success...twice.

The sad part of the story began in December. A couple foodie friends (doubling as running buds) and I headed over there after a Friday evening run only to feel the sting of rejection. G by day is a sandwich shop and by night, which unbeknownst to us started at the stroke of 6pm, is run as a tasting-menu restaurant. That early start meant that it stopped selling sandwiches on that day of the week at 5pm. We had planned our route to end at G as a handsome reward for our hard work. When we opened the door and trotted in, the music stopped. Our hearts sank. Were we in the right place? A well-dressed hostess and well-dressed patrons all looked up to suggest that we most certainly were not. Nothing screams "class" like sweaty running clothes.

We left, dejected but still determined to try again another time during normal sandwich hours.

---begin happy chapter---

Weeks later, I returned on a weekend afternoon, well in advance of the switchover time and found five minutes of happiness in the form of G's Italian Hero. Yes, I ate it that quickly. Made my insides sing.


The buffalo mozzarella was velvety and sweet. The cured Italian meats were spicy, seasoned and sassy. The bread...well, just look at it!

Since I don't live or work anywhere near G, it takes a dedicated plan to pay the shop a visit. This past Friday was one of those days. Since it's Lent, I observe the "no-meat" Fridays and was considering NOT going because I thought it would be too hard to abstain. Friend Laura was the best friend a friend can be and coaxed me to power through and try G's Roasted Cauliflower sandwich. She said it was a noteworthy one that had been written about in reviews as their signature item. Who knew...cauliflower? Delicious cauliflower sandwich? Never thought I would find those three words thrown together.

Laura suggested we just split that one sandwich since she wanted to try it and I couldn't share any meat sandwich she got anyways. A good friend, I tell you! And here is what we saw after tearing open the paper.


Toasted bread soaked with unbelievably flavorful Romesco sauce. Lightly charred cauliflower florets, tender and basking in Romesco. I wanted to bask in Romesco. The pickled veggies offered a nice twang that sent this sandwich deep beyond the friend zone with me. I think I found my soul-mate.

If only G were closer (or would open a spot in Bethesda...hint hint) then I could relive this amazing meet cute over and over again. Until next time, G. I'll be thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment