Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Nothing's fishy in here

I've started eating healthier during work night evenings, but have yet to see the results. One of my go-to items has been seared salmon and a salad. I had been in my Safeway the other week when the fish man was hollering at me to be sure to eat seafood at least twice a week. I heeded his message and have been doing so for a few of weeks now.

I used to avoid cooking fish in the past because of the overwhelming stank that would soon permeate every fiber of my apartment when the cooking process had finished. Later in the fall, I tried a series of fans, open doors and closed doors to minimize the fish order with better luck, but it still wasn't good enough. A faint smell would last at least a couple of days. But, now, I have perfected the art of eliminating odor!


I sear the fish on both sides at a very high heat in a skillet for about 2 minutes each side, then I spread a light glaze of chutney on top before popping it into my toaster oven pre-heated at 350 degrees. Cook that for 5-8 minutes and voila! Perfectly tender salmon, no fans, no open doors and zero odor.

The salad above has also become a favorite of mine. Pear, walnut, spinach/arugula, Gorgonzola crumbles and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. When I shared my cooking successes with my mom over the weekend showing her this picture, she was shocked at my portion size. I usually buy a 3/4 lb piece of salmon at the store and eat the entire thing for dinner. I feel content afterwards, not stuffed. But, apparently, I am eating for two! I didn't realize that 4oz of fish was considered one helping. Gah. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment