Friday, May 6, 2011

A week full of goodbyes

This was a hard week on my heart. While some of the things weren't as sad as others, it has certainly been a week!

  • The Caps got soundly swept in the second round of the playoffs :-(
  • Gary Williams announced his retirement from coaching Terps basketball :-(!
  • I underwent ankle reconstruction surgery bidding adieu to my bum ankle :-|
  • Osama my house mouse was trapped and killed :-)
  • Osama bin Laden was trapped and killed :-)
  • I canceled my sparingly-used gym membership :-)
The first two items still have me bitter, reeling, sad and angry. I think I also might be in shock/denial. How dare the Caps put us fans in through the same scenario as last year?! Hrmph....DC sports teams. Then there's Gary. Garrrry. GARY! He's the face of Maryland basketball! He's the reason most people come to watch the team. I will miss his croud-rousing fist pump, his profuse sweating, his angry rants, his pacing, and his knee-splitting squat. Oh, yeah, and of course I'll never forget how he resurrected the Maryland program into prominence. The 2001/2001 basketball season when we won the national championship was probably the sports highlight of my lifetime.

Now for my ankle. Here's what she looked like pre-surgery. Pretty normal-ish on the oustide. Beat up on the inside! This is my first experience with surgery, casts and immobility. As an extremely impatient person, the next two months as a gimp will be trying.


And this is me with my glorious splint. I won't get my hard cast for another ten days or so.


My poor leg won't see the light of day until the last week of June! So far, the nerve block they put in my leg to numb my sciatic nerve hasn't worn off yet (and might not till tomorrow) so I haven't felt a full course of pain yet. Here's to my soon-to-be-new best friends Oxycontin and Percocet!

So, goodbye Caps; goodbye Gary Williams; goodbye Osamas and good riddance; goodbye ankle and good riddance; goodbye Fitness First...sorry we didn't get to see each other much. And here's to some new beginnings!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I didn't realize you were going into surgery so soon! Welp, if anyone can pull of being gimpy and still look fabulous, it would be you. Feel better soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melanie! You are too sweet! xo

    ReplyDelete