Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Would you like some chicken salad with that mayonnaise?

Yet again, I've broken my committment to bring lunch from home in my desperate efforts to save money. I especially try hardest to do so on cold, rainy days. Not today.

The only things I could've brought for lunch were guacamole and plain bread. After having walked around Chinatown a few times in the past week to scope out lunch options, I decided today to head to old faithful--Subway. It's not only the cheapest buy for me, but also the one with the healthiest potential. Most of the other sandwich places in the area are at least double the price and double the calories for not necessarily double the pleasure.

As I approached the Subway at 9th and E street, I noticed a sign out front marketing the restaurant's latest "limited edition" sandwich. The Orchard Chicken Salad sandwich. I was intrigued. Cubes of plump, white chicken breast, golden raisins, celery, apple chunks and light mayo. Wow, light mayo?! Go Subway! I was still skeptical, though. Anything with mayo usually means a chunk of extra fat and calories. Subway's tuna salad is one of my guiltiest pleasures, but a 6-inch sub has over 500 calories and 20 grams of fat. I had a hunch that the chicken salad would tell a similiar story. As I neared the counter to order, I planned to inspect the roast beef and ham for marbling to determine whether I would order the Subway Club or just plain turkey. Sometimes either the roast beef and/or the ham have too many lines of grissly fat in it for me to consider ordering it. But, when it came time to order, I noticed the Orchard Chicken Salad ad again, staring me in the face. Upon second glance I noticed that the ad boasted only 8 grams of fat! Change of plans.

After I told the man my order, I waited patiently for him to assemble my sandwich. That's when I saw my liquid lunch scooped out of a bin and slopped onto the warm, formerly fluffy, wheat bread. Nooooooooo. That couldn't be! I looked back up at the ad, examined the chicken lightly coated in mayo (light mayo) and then looked back at the ice cream scoop dripping in white goo. FML. My day is ruined.

With dismay, I forked over my $4 and headed back to the office to eat my sandwich with caution. When I took it out of the bag, I noticed they only put on napkin inside. One napkin?! Honey, I'm gonna need rubber gloves, a bib and a towel to help me eat this thing! Not to mention, a shower and a trip to the dry cleaners afterwards.

I was too afraid to open the bread to look at what I was about to eat. I took one bite. OOooooze. Drip. Drip. Plop. I carefully continued eating and tried my best to wring out the extra mayo. No such luck. As expected, it was everywhere, and the consistency was so odd. There were a few bites of goodness in there scattered amongst the storm. But, overall, this was a huge dissappointment. It had such potential! Talk about false advertising. Industrial Mayonnaise Salad would have been more appropriate.

I am tempted to go try the other Subway up at 7th and H at some point when memories of this lunch retreat to the back of my mind with the other nightmaries. Until then, proceed with caution and ignore the glistening ads!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that new sandwich! I've had it 3 times in the past week :) Mine haven't been nearly as drippy gross as yours, so definitely try another subway location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to report that I did give this sandwich another try at a different location and had a much more pleasant experience. Defintely not as gooey as the other place. So avoid the Subway at 9th and F!

    ReplyDelete